Enjoy 5% of the Malayan Tiger population in the Malacca Zoo! This either means:
- Malacca Zoo is huge to host 5% of the entire tiger population, or
- the Malayan Tiger population is dwindling big time.
Unfortunately it’s the latter: there are less than 600 Malayan tigers in the wild and this number keeps on decreasing due to:
- loss of habitat and
With a fine of only 15.000Rm for killing a Malayan tiger, Malaysia shows how much or rather how little it values to host the to ninth tiger sub-species.
It’s sad that a country like Malaysia that thrives on tourism and that we ‘foreign tourist’ love for what it has to offer doesn’t preserve its heritage better:
- just last weekend Malacca itself was flagged by Unesco as not doing enough to preserve its heritage status.
- in stead money has been spent:
- to rehabilitate the Malacca River so tourists can enjoy the new Malacca Cruise
- to built a roller coaster and
- more shopping malls
- and now Mumbai-based biotechnology firm Actis Biologics Pvt Ltd is looking to raise up to US$300mil (RM1.03bil) for its Biocity project in Malacca by the year-end.
Actis develops and licenses cell technology to produce heavy cells for the development and production of biologicals.
Why for crying out loud wants the Malaysian government a new firm in Malacca? What about locating it in somewhere in Malaysia where there is demand for factories?
Things to do in the Malacca Zoo
Apart from the Malayan Tigers (about 20) the Malacca Zoo offers:
- 200 species of mammals one of which is the rare Sumatran Rhinoceros
- 100 bird species and
- 22 reptile species.
Amongst the attractions the zoo offers:
- a mini safari
- an elephant show
- elephant and horse rides
- a multi animal show and
- a night zoo.
I do recommend the Malacca Night Zoo, for the simple reason that during the day, it’s very hot in tropical Malacca Malaysia to stroll around!
The Malacca zoo surroundings have been set to simulate the natural habitat of the animals. Simulate however is only as much you can do on a small area of 22ha.
Apart from housing the varied species of animals, the Malacca Zoo also functions as a center for:
- conservation breeding
- wildlife research and
- zoo education.
Malacca zoo map
Malacca zoo is located about 13 km from Malacca town (on the road from Malacca to Hotel Seri Malaysia Melaka.
Admission is less than $2 : Adults pay MYR7 and children MYR4. There is a tram facility to get you around with an extra ticket price of MYR2.
People with a video camera need to fork out an extra MYR10. That’s why I recommend visiting Malacca Zoo with a sophisticated handphone with digital camera: 10Ringgit can buy you a delicious meal in Malaysia!