Save tenfold by applying for MM2H: a Malaysia tourist visa with multiple entries. How? By cutting out the middleman and applying personally.
Unlike me who had to fork out more than tenfold the duty stamps of my MM2H visa because I was obliged to use an official agency, you can now apply personally to get the MM2H.
I suggest you do the paperwork from your country of origin, and let them figure out the latest changes in the utterly non-transparent MM2H requirements. Yes: in Malaysia you will be served with a smile, but most staff just won’t be able to give you the latest news.
Nor can I 🙂 That’s why I started a separate Malaysia My Second Home page, with the latest news I can gather about the MM2H program. Because the requirements I had to fulfill a few months ago to get my 10 year multiple entry Malaysia tourist visa are outdated already.
Also you cannot fully compare yourself with other applicants. Some applicants will have to renew their MM2H visa every 5 years, others have the privilege to renew only every 10 years.
Who can apply for the MM2H 10 year Malaysia Tourist Visa
MM2H is open to citizens of all countries recognized by Malaysia regardless of race, religion, gender or age.
Applicants are allowed to bring their spouses and unmarried children below the age of 18 as dependants.
Be aware that at the time I applied for my MM2H, partners married with a Malaysian citizen were not allowed to apply for the MM2H visa.
It is unclear now if this requirement has changed, some say it has, some say it hasn’t. Married partners can apply for a 1 year tourist visa to Malaysia under the so called “spouse program”.
What is the MM2H 10 year Malaysia Tourist Visa
MM2H or the Malaysia My Second Home Programme is promoted by the Government of Malaysia (tourism and immigration: 2 ministries to make things a bit complicated) to allow foreigners who fulfill certain criteria, to stay in Malaysia for as long as possible on a multiple-entry Social Visit Pass.
This multiple-entry Social Visit Pass is initially for a period of ten (10) years, and is renewable. People that got their visa a few years ago, will have to renew it every five (5) years.
7 reasons to stay in Malaysia with the MM2H Malaysia tourist visa
- Low cost of living: half as expensive than Europe, UK or US, except for buying alcohol and cars.
- Malaysians are friendly people (except when driving on the road: a little more courtesy would be most welcome).
- Food paradise: I can’t think of any food that I didn’t manage to find here in Malaysia. Not to mention I discovered 1001 new Malaysian dishes 🙂 And eating out is not a pain in the wallet!
- Enjoy many different cultures next to each other: Malays, Chinese, Indians and lots of foreign tourists are the people you can meet easily on a daily basis in Malaysia.
- Geographically safe environment: free from most natural disasters. Men made disasters do occur when Malaysians start building properties on Malaysian hill slopes. Be warned: stay away from buying a property in Malaysia on a hill slope, as there are no guarantees that it won’t get washed away by
the heavy tropical rains.
- All year round warm temperatures.
- The sea water is much cleaner than in Europe, although this won’t last unless something gets done worldwide.
What can be improved for MM2H Malaysia tourist visa?
Stability and transparency:
- stability in making the rules and sticking to them. It’s no joke having to pay an agent when you can now simply apply by yourself.
- transparency in knowing the exact rules and requirements. I have heard friends going to immigration after phoning for all the requirements, just to be told by the Malaysian government employee that extra requirements have to be fulfilled.
Malaysia tourist visa summarized
Although there are some negative points, all in all we are talking about a tourist visa here: so enjoy your stay in Malaysia and when the good doesn’t cover the bad, you should change your destination.
For myself and my family: we are very happy having made the big step to retire in Malaysia using the MM2H Malaysian tourist visa: we can strecth our Pound big time!